7 Things We Need To Ditch This Year

Comparing ourselves to others

“admire someone else’s beauty without questioning your own” is a quote I think everyone should try and remember a little once in a while! I actually made a print with that quote and framed it to keep around me because it’s so true. We all have flaws but we judge ourselves too hard, scrutinize our pores, our bodies and the way we look because someone else looks better than you. It’s not that they look better than you, it’s that they look different from you. The grass is always greener on the other side but I bet if you looked like who you wanted to look like you’d still find a flaw and something you wanted to change. We’re all beautiful and made in unique ways we just have to find ways to rock our flaws and be our own unique person! The world would be so boring if we all looked the same!

The follow/unfollow

This is something I really hope dies this year! Towards the back end of the year, we all began experiencing the effects of Instagrams algorithm! Our posts we no longer given to us in chronological order and we were missing out on seeing people’s posts. That was annoying but the fact of how many followers bloggers are losing each day for reasons we cannot work out is just plain annoying. I lost 40 followers over night and I know it is natural for people to unfollow but nothing had changed! Not my images, not my theme, my colour scheme was still identical so that’s such a vast number of people to unfollow for no reason and it’s driving us all abit mad! Same with Twitter, the unfollow and follow again game is high over there! People constantly following and unfollowing for whatever reason it’s just annoying as hell haha!

See through boots

C’mon people what are these inventions! I just find them the most bizarre things to have ever made their way into a shop. I get that they might be used in a fashion show because they tend to be abit out there when walking the catwalk but when your strolling around Primark trying to work out if the person in the queue in front of you is actually wearing any shoes because all you can see is her patch tan on her feet and her chipped nail polish it’s not such a pretty sight ha! I just find them the weirdest things ever!

The sharing of menstrual blood

I’m sorry but I’m going to have to be the bitch that says this. If I log onto Instagram and visit the popular or explore section one more time to see a free flow of blood making it’s way down a woman’s legs I’m going to cry. We are all women, we know it happens and occasionally your office mate might have to hand you a tampon here and there if you forget but I do not want to see period blood gracing my screen whilst im eating my breakfast in the morning. We all have vaginas, we have periods…we don’t need to see it. It’s just a vag.

Auto DM’s

Oh people PLEASE STOP THESE! I don’t understand why half of the world hasn’t got the memos about auto DMs. They piss me off so much that if I follow someone, get an auto DM I’ll automatically unfollow them because it irritates me to no end. Even brands are doing it, like the smaller brands and it’s just so spammy and doesn’t get you anywhere! Nobodys going to click an auto DM link because we all know they are auto and the same message Is sent to everyone. Make it personal instead! If someone follows you, just bloody tweet them and thank them, don’t cram your link down their throat!

Fuck Boys

I think I’ve fallen for my fair share of fuck boys before I realised they didn’t actually give a damn about anything but one thing. I’ve come across my fair share of them and ooooh Tinder is a breeding ground for them! Don’t fall for it girls! I have come to learn to sport them a mile away! Key things to look out for:

-Pouty photos that scream ‘I love myself’

-all their photos are of them stood in a mirror with no top on with their arm flexed or similar

-guys who have their uber rating on their profile

-guys who think their photos will do them enough justice to not write anything in their bio

-an egg plant in their bio

-asking to meet you one hour after you’ve matched

Please know I’m not categorizing all boys here but I am talking about the guys who simply want to meet you for a ‘fuck and chuck’ as ive heard it been called many times. They’re heart breakers girls, don’t do it!

Negativity

It’d be impossible to ditch all forms of negativity, it’ll never happen but if we can rid ourselves of some of it then it’s going to make us all a little happier! We all have our days where we are negative about everything don’t we but surrounding ourselves with positivity always helps that little more! I really struggle to remain positive when I’m around people who are negative about almost everything and since leaving those friendship groups I’ve been much happier! If you’ve had a bad day and find yourself feeling negative I find reflecting on my day and picking one good thing that happened, no matter how small it is always makes me feel better.

What do you think we need to ditch this year? Comment below!

39 Comments

1. 31/01/2017 / 7:59 am

I agree with this so much, especially when it comes to comparing oneself with others… I’ve been working hard on this in 2016 and I feel so much better for it!

I’m also suffering from the whole Instagram algorithm too and it really sucks because I get unfollowers everytime I post something new and in a different style to what I had before. Like people should know by now that I’m a style chameleon 😛

31/01/2017 / 6:10 pm

It’s happening to everyone so it’s nothing your doing wrong! 🙂 I’ve felt so much better since doing my own thing and not really trying to ‘fit in’ so much!

2. 31/01/2017 / 9:17 am

I’m so happy I haven’t seen any picture of someone’s period, that is kinda gross. 😀 But I agree with all of these you wrote. Finally start to be normal..

Michelle Morchella

31/01/2017 / 6:08 pm

Yeah it’s really not pretty, we all have vajays lets just move on yeah haha!

3. 31/01/2017 / 11:48 am

Hell yes! I agree with you on all of these. Follow for unfollow is really getting on my nerves at the moment. People just need to STOP now xx

Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

31/01/2017 / 6:06 pm

it’s driving me crazy hahaha! And F4F is just as annoying!

4. 31/01/2017 / 2:08 pm

People share photos of actual periods??? FML! That’s just a bit too much info!!! xx

31/01/2017 / 6:06 pm

Sweet Jesus yes they do! It’s not a pretty sight!

5. 31/01/2017 / 3:29 pm

Absolutely love this post! Couldn’t agree more with the first one, it’s something I’ve been working on and I’m so much happier with my content now!

31/01/2017 / 6:05 pm

Yaaaaay! Your content is brilliant Jodie, you have nothing to worry about! 🙂 xx

6. 31/01/2017 / 4:38 pm

I loved the blunt honesty in this post! Gained mad respect for you 🙂
    Also, you reminded me that I was totally still using an Automated DM thing. So that has been removed from my twitter. I had forgotten it was even there & had been since I started my blog. We’ll see where things gone without it!
    I can also say that I’ve been lucky and have not seen a single menstrual blood post!
    xx Nichole

31/01/2017 / 6:04 pm

I was abit of a bitch hahaha! YAAAAAY TO TURNING OFF THE AUTO DM! I honestly hate them so much with a passion hahaha! They don’t gain you anything so I hope that you pick up more followers and things now lovely! Your very lucky to have not seen any of those posts! Ewww haha!

7. 31/01/2017 / 5:43 pm

I’m so disappointed with the Instagram algorithm! I started to really get to grips with using it and then all of a sudden it all changed and now I miss half of the posts I want to see and everyone just unfollows. It’s so annoying! x

31/01/2017 / 6:04 pm

So disheartening isn’t it! Have a look into joining an insta comment pod though they have helped me loads!

8. 31/01/2017 / 6:12 pm

Love this! Great tips, my favorite one Follow/Unfollow for sure!

N, xoxo.

9. 31/01/2017 / 7:13 pm

hahahah the eggplant emoji comment is so true! Also auto-DMS.. omg pleaaaase stop! I followed someone back who seemed really nice and interesting and yep, an auto DM. Nope, goodbye! Defo wish they would end soon hah!

meg x meghobson.com

01/02/2017 / 8:32 am

I just do not understand why people haven’t yet learnt that Auto DM’s are more of a turn off than fuck boys! It’s just not a good thing to do at all and why people don’t see it I’ll never know hahah!

01/02/2017 / 8:32 am

Thank god it’s not just me hahahaha! Imagine when their feet get a little sweaty the bloody shoe will fog up and everyone will know! gross!

10. Laura
    31/01/2017 / 10:57 pm

There’s nothing more annoying than someone who keeps following and unfollowing you. They try to get you to notice them and follow them back but it never works cos they just end up getting blocked! haha and oh my, why would anyone share a photo of their period? That’s just tmi. I’m so glad I’ve never come across those photos!! Great post xx

Laura | Blush and Bronze

01/02/2017 / 8:31 am

why do I get all these gross images and nobody else does hahahahaa! It’s a really annoying thing and all it’s doing is ruining it for others

11. 31/01/2017 / 11:08 pm

People post photos of their periods? Talk about TMI, EWWWWWWW! Thankfully I’ve never seen that….nor do I wish to! The follow/unfollow thing pisses me off too, especially when it’s obvious people are only following you in the hopes that you’ll follow back. If I want to follow you, then I will because I like your content etc; but I hate that there’s this expectation from others & when you don’t follow them, they unfollow you. So childish! I hate that just as much as people asking to follow for follow – sorry, but I refuse to do that.

Comparing myself to others & negativity (albeit of the internal kind) is something I’ve worked on eradicating as I’ve got older, but there are times where I still fall into the trap. It’s hard, but I’m better for it when I don’t go there.

01/02/2017 / 8:30 am

I’ll go as far to block the request F&F commenters! It really riles me up hahaha! bloggers do have this expectation that if they follow you, you must follow them and it’s so stupid haha I refuse to do it!!

12. 31/01/2017 / 11:18 pm

I hope every thing you mentioned in this list disappears this year! I do especially dislike the graphic details some females online like to use when describing then menstruation! Great honesty in this post, every point you made is so true x

Mae ♥

01/02/2017 / 8:29 am

It’s just gross hahaha well all know it happens but we just don’t need to sing and dance about that time of the month. Like I get it girl and I’d offer you a chocolate bar if you were here but please, I don’t want to hear about your clots! It’s gross!

13. 01/02/2017 / 12:30 am

Lol ya Tinder is a breeding ground for fuckboys! I met my wonderful (non-fuckboy) boyfriend on there, though 🙂

01/02/2017 / 8:27 am

I love when I hear positive stories from dating apps! It gives me hope!!!

14. 01/02/2017 / 4:00 pm

Auto DM’s and the follow/unfollow game are the worst. Literally so annoying. They need to stop!

15. Sally
    01/02/2017 / 6:05 pm

I genuinely don’t understand how people have the time to follow and unfollow, it is the least productive thing ever, surely they should just spend their time making a better feed, no?!!

So infuriating!! Great post Caitlin!

The Makeup Directory

02/02/2017 / 1:52 pm

Exactly Sally! Surely the time it takes to be doing that rubbish could be well better spent actually networking and promoting their content rather than pissing every blogger off haha!

16. 04/02/2017 / 12:31 pm

I completely agree with the follow/unfollow and auto DM’s! Why is this still happening!? It’s got to the point where I’ve stopped following a lot of people back because I’m assuming they’re just doing it for the follow. What happened to real engagement!?

05/02/2017 / 10:20 am

I know right! Everything has become so centered on looking like you have the most followers but when it actually comes down to it that’s not what matters and brands aren’t daft they can see what’s happening! hahaha

17. 04/02/2017 / 5:19 pm

I’ve been saving this post all week until I had time to read it properly cause I knew I would love it!

The follow unfollow thing just needs to stop! I was contemplating putting a message in my bio saying “please don’t follow me if you plan to unfollow me the next day” but I didn’t want the first thing people see on my profile to be so negative. I honestly can’t see how I am ever going to gain any more followers when I lose 2 for every new one 🙁

Also I can proudly say that I have never seen anyone wearing see through boots in my life, what an odd trend!
    xx

05/02/2017 / 10:24 am

Girl you are so freaking lucky you’ve never seen those boots, they are not pretty hahaha! And the follow unfollow thing gets people nowhere I just don’t understand why people think it’s a good idea! It’ll never get our attention in a positive way it just pisses us off and makes us not follow them! I’m glad you liked the post lovely!!

18. 05/02/2017 / 4:22 pm

Yaaas! I agree. Following and unfollowing on Instagram is literally the worst.

P.S love your photography in this post! x

06/02/2017 / 7:58 am

Thankyou Allie! x

19. 08/02/2017 / 7:59 am

I think for me I’d love to ditch comparisons and comparing my self and what I do to others and what they’re doing or how they look etc. If I could stop comparing myself to other by the end of 2017 I would be so proud!

Julia // The Sunday Mode

20. 24/03/2017 / 1:27 pm

Erm okay, so this post summarises my entire viewpoint on life Caitlin! I adore the fact that the follow / unfollow shitheads got a mention in here – hahahaha! And see through boots should be made illegal – I HATE FEET, why are they plaguing my life so much at the moment!

Nikki xx | Lovelaughslipstick ♥