The Different Approach I’m Taking With Instagram

Oh Instagram, you’ve really got bloggers up in arms at the moment haven’t you! Instagram is the perfect example of a love-hate relationship and it seems they are just trying to make it more difficult for bloggers and businesses to interact and get engagement and who the heck knows why. What I do know is something has got to give!
We love Instagram for the inspiration it brings, scrolling through feeds with all the perfect aesthetics, gathering inspiration for makeup looks and adding things to your never ending wishlist despite your bank balance screaming at you.
We hate Instagram for the frustration it keeps on providing us all. First, it was them taking away photos being shown in chronological order which really shook the world of bloggers, that was a big deal ha! Then came the algorithm where the most popular photos, sponsored and paid for promotion photos would be ranked higher, seen by more. Then there was the shadow ban which really made bloggers lose their shit and me included because why should that be there, what use does that provider users of Instagram hiding our photos on tags? Then came the bot issue and a whole world of drama followed from bloggers ‘outing’ other bloggers and making accusations. Don’t get me wrong I don’t agree with using bots and the like but people were being wrongly accused. Genuine hard working people were being accused of it. Don’t even get me started on the whole follow and unfollow thing.

It got to the point where an account would follow me with over 10k followers and I’d automatically be thinking ‘well they will just unfollow me tomorrow’ it’s ridiculous. Why does it bother us so much why are we letting these things agitate us and take over the enjoyment of a hobby we all share? I came so close to quitting Instagram (and my blog) a few weeks back because I was just so over it all.
Instagram, why you trying to fix things that were never broken?!
Let’s be honest here you girls in whatsapp chats…when the whole bot thing came out, don’t try and tell me that your whatsapp group chat’s weren’t flooded with ooh’s and ahh’s over who’s been paying for bots to follow and unfollow and engage on people’s images for their own growth. It’s sneaky and it’s wrong when there are so many hard working individuals out there so people were of course right to be upset. What’s more annoying is why do these bot things even exist and why on earth would you think it was a good idea?!

I speak for myself because I don’t know how you personally feel but there have indeed been times I’ve scrolled through Instagram comparing my entire life, my body and my looks so someone else’s perfectly themed and seemingly perfect life and forgetting to tell myself that those photos you see on there are just someone’s highlight reel. They aren’t posting the entire pizza they ate to themselves last night and how they are in bed surrounded by a pile of tissues crying their entire day away after finishing Thirteen Reasons why. We need to stop thinking that followers = happiness. Sure it gives you a buzz when you hit a milestone, a sense of achievement and pride for all the hard work you have put in and sure, I’d love to reach 7k Instagram followers or more but is it really going to be life to change? I think not. It’s not going to make my life suddenly perfect and it’s not going to make me have a permanent smile plastered across my face.
It’s important that we remind ourselves that Instagram is just an app and if one day it no longer exists, the world will keep turning. We need to make our lives happier outside of Instagram. Forget about making your life look happy on Instagram!

This is why I no longer give a damn. I don’t care if I’m shadow banned I’m just going to do what I want to do. I’m not going to worry about the whole bot situation, I have never and will never pay for some weird little robot to follow and unfollow a thousand people just so I can gain two new followers. I’m going to be grateful for each and every follower I get through the effort I put into creating endless photos of makeup and flat lays. I’m going to have fun with it!

I’m going back to the reason I started out with Instagram – to share photos I created. Not to create strategies and trick people into following me I’m just going to go with the flow, engage with others and post what I please! Come at me Instagram!
I know today’s post is probably a huge mash of brain scramble but this post wasn’t planned or drafted it was simply written and published! What are your thoughts on Instagram? Will you be taking this new approach?

16 Comments

1. 09/05/2017 / 9:31 am

Love this! Instagram really is a pain right now. I’m focusing on my engagement and sharing the love with plenty of comments!xx

Lucy x | lucy-cole.co.uk

2. 09/05/2017 / 11:02 am

First of all, great post & beautiful pictures! I’m here for everything in this post.
    Yes to going back to the reason Why and enjoying the process of creating your content!
    Personally, I want to not get too carried away with these extra stuffs and just truly enjoy the ability to easily share photos. Instagram has really taken me through some transitions; from not seeing the need for it to sharing what I can do with iPhone photography to now posting flatlays, it’s been a bonus for exploring my creativity and for that, I’m grateful. It’s unfortunate that I too feel wearing when I see 10k+ folks follow me and I’m giving them the side eye and almost certain it’s a follow to unfollow nonsense. Didn’t even know that was a thing until I read it last week.
    Please enjoy the process and know that there are many people (including me) who genuinely enjoy your content!
    I’ll be taking the same approach both with Instagram & my blog. Doing it for ME first!

• throughthemirror
      09/05/2017 / 2:23 pm

Yesss girly! thankyou for taking the time to leave such a great comment! I think we are all feeling it right now aren’t we!

3. Sally
    09/05/2017 / 5:03 pm

This is such a refreshing post Caitlin and I love your honest with it all! I do find Instagram frustrating but I wouldn’t say I get absorbed as some poeple with trying to get the “perfect life”. It really is all an act, so it’s best just to enjoy your life!! Always love your content and cant wait for more 🙂

The Makeup Directory

• throughthemirror
      13/05/2017 / 11:23 am

I have always loved the way you handle Instagram Sally! Your one person I look at and can see that you love it but it doesn’t rule you! I’m really glad you liked the post lovely, you are so sweet! xx

4. 09/05/2017 / 5:57 pm

This is exactly how I see it! It always has been, I do it because I enjoy it not because it will change my life. It’s just an app as you said after all. People take things way too seriously. Glad you’re not giving a damn anymore!

5. 09/05/2017 / 6:33 pm

After months of slugging it out with my Instagram page I just deleted it. I was sick of putting in constant effort and getting minimum follows due to their crappy algorithm. So much less stress, and my blog numbers have improved because I am now putting more effort into what matters!

Danielle xx

• throughthemirror
      13/05/2017 / 11:19 am

Aw Danielle! So glad that’s worked for you lovely and you removed unneeded distractions and things you just weren’t feeling inspired by!

6. Alice
    09/05/2017 / 10:34 pm

Loved this post, so honest and totally agree with you on everything! I think Instagram has become such a big thing and its as if some peoples lives depend on it now, they panic if they don’t post at the right time every day! I do love the app and I will keep using it as a way to connect and promote but I’ve really given up with ‘growth’ now, it’s just too much!

Alice | alicemaysnell

• throughthemirror
      13/05/2017 / 11:16 am

Thankyou for reading Alice, you know I always look forward to your comments girly! It’s like people cannot live their life without sharing it to Instagram! I think it’s great that you are going about it the way you are, I think this is the way to do it!

7. 10/05/2017 / 3:54 pm

Great post! There has been so much uproar recently with Instagram. I just use it as I always have, to share snippets of my life with those who are interested!

8. 10/05/2017 / 4:41 pm

Instagram has been such a pain in the last year, I wish it was as easy as it was before to build a genuine following! I’ve also gone back to just posting as and when I want and liking/leaving comments on the photos I love in my feed, that way I can hopefully tailor my feed to show me more of what I want 🙂

• throughthemirror
      13/05/2017 / 11:14 am

It seemed to change over night! I mean twitter likes to throw us off sometimes with their updates but never in the sense Instagram have. I personally wonder what direction they are trying to take Instagram! It’s a really good approach to take lovely, thankyou for reading!

9. 11/05/2017 / 1:11 pm

Yes, yes to everything you said! I’m currently writing my own post on Instagram and your posts resonates so much with my thoughts!
    Lea, xx

10. 23/05/2017 / 11:34 am

Go girl! I’m the same. I’m fed up of trying to hard for little return!